The Federal Improvement Company was incorporated in 1908 to invest in and develop real estate in Cleveland, Ohio. Among the original investors in the company with the Ford family was Tom L. Johnson, Mayor of Cleveland. The Company’s principle business was to build, or purchase for lease industrial warehouses and office buildings in the City of Cleveland. Today the BP building stands today on the site of one of the Company’s earliest development projects, The Williamson Building. In the early 1960’s the company purchased the land north of the Geauga County Airport in Middlefield for development into the Geauga Industrial Park to diversify their holdings outside of Cleveland.
The Park has expanded to include over 150 acres of land for industrial development. The Geauga Industrial Park has been the center of industrial growth in Geauga County. The Park offers fully improved building sites with sewer, water and utilities. The company also leases and manages multi tenanted buildings in the park for lease. Companies that have operations in the park are a diverse group of businesses, which have helped the community and the county grow. These firms include KraftMaid Cabinets, Johnsonite, Sajar Plastics, Mercury Plastics, Polychem Dispersions, Normandy Products, Neff Perkins, Penske and MK Enterprises.
The Federal Improvement Company is active in searching out new industrial development projects for Middlefield, Geauga County and northeast Ohio.